The onion flakes are made from fresh onions which are roasted generally, chopped and also dried. These flakes can be used to avoid the tears from the eyes. The flakes are originated from Central Asia and the Middle East. You can also take these flakes to camping where there is a limited use of the refrigerators and also space usage. They are chopped and dehydrated. They do not have pungency of fresh onion. Though they lack in pungency yet have a great aroma and also flavor. The onion flakes are obtained simply by chopping them and allowing them to dry. They are either dried in the sun or in a dehydrator. It can also be dried in an oven on a low setting. The onions are dried out and are allowed to shrink. The pieces will look like flakes after the drying process. The onion flakes are easily available in foodzu.com.
Selection of the flakes
The onion flakes are easily available in foodzu.com.
Storage Of the Flakes
The onion flakes are dried and are stored in an airtight container from 6 months to a year before using it. The flakes should be stored in a dark, cool, dry place and avoid the flakes to come in contact with the moisture. They are usually used to replace the regular onions in recipes. They can also be added to soups, rubs, marinades, and dressings. The flakes will be the best when are well handled. When the flakes are handled properly they will not lose their flavor and also adequate. When you need the flakes for a recipe use a spoon to measure it and add how much ever is needed. Do not shake the container over a dish in which you are cooking because there will be a chance of steam going through it and spoiling the flakes in the container.
Various Uses of The Onion Flakes
- The flakes are usually used in the dressing of salads, sauces etc.
- They can be roasted or even fried until it is crisp and dry.
- Small quantities of the flakes can be used to bring the crispiness and the roasted flavor of onion to sandwiches, salads, sauces etc.
- They are also sprinkled on top of the Pizza.
- They are also used for garnishing to make the dish attractive and also used as a finisher to dishes which are lighter.
- The onions have many compounds responsible for their aroma and health benefits.
- They also can help to increase bone density and has anti-inflammatory benefits.
- You can use them as fresh onions by soaking them in the water.
- It can be used to add flavor for various dishes like gravies, hamburgers, omelets etc.
- You can also use the flakes by sprinkling on pork, lamb, chicken before roasting.
The onion flakes can be usually made from yellow, white, or red onions by harnessing the distinctive flavors of different varieties. There are various tropical varieties of onion flakes available. The flakes can also be mixed with different species to create distinctive blends. You can try by experimenting with them as it is easily available. Other names are onion chopped, onion flakes, slices of onion, allium cepa. The onions will lose its pungency when they are dried made flakes. The flakes will not be a substitute for the fresh onions but can be accepted in various dishes. You can also use onion powder to add more flavor.