Shatavari is also known as Asparagus racemosus. It’s a member of the asparagus family. It is also called Satavar, and Shatamull. In Sanskrit, the herb has an intriguing name. It is called ‘a hundred spouses’. As a member of the asparagus family (asparagus racemosus), it is also referred to as the Indian asparagus. It can be found in the tropical areas of Asia, India, Australia, and Africa. It is a woody plant that usually grows in shady areas and at a low altitude. It is an herb that will help the reproductive system heal in a positive manner. The name translates roughly to “the cure for one hundred diseases”. It is frequently referred to mothers after their delivery because it assists in the secretion of milk. Shatavari can be found in the market in the form of granules. This powder form can be mixed with milk and you can take it around two times a day for the best results.
Energetics of Shatavari
- Taste (Rasa): Bitter, Sweet
- Energy (Virya): Cooling
- Post-Digestive Effect (Vipaka): Sweet
- Quality (Guna): Unctuous, heavy
- Body Type (Dosa): Vata -, Pitta -, Kapha +
- Tissue (Dhatu): All Tissues
- Channel (Srota): Digestive, female reproductive, respiratory
15 Well Known Uses of Shatavari
- Shatavari is a herb which has been used for thousands of years as a natural remedy in Ayurveda, Unani and Siddha.
- This is a species of wild asparagus which grows throughout Nepal, Sri Lanka, India and the Himalayas, but can be purchased worldwide.
- The roots and stems of this wonderful herb are often dried and ground to a fine powder. This preserves their health benefits and allows them to be easily taken.
- This is excellent for regulating the menstrual cycle (periods) for women of all ages, and also reducing the symptoms of the menopause such as hot flashes and sweating.
- This powder is most commonly used to support the female body throughout their lives by balancing hormone levels.
- Shatavari Powder can be taken on a daily basis and will boost fertility and the reproductive system of both the female and male body. This increases the chances of pregnancy for couples.
- It helps women to shed excess water weight which is held in the body during monthly periods.
- It contains isoflavonoids, soluble fibers, and complex sugars which boost the digestive system and flushes out toxins from the gut.
- This also has a cooling effect on the body and works well to treat a low fever, stomach ulcers, diarrhea, and vomiting.
- It has been shown to fight harmful bacteria in the body such as Shigella dysenteriae, Staphylococcus Aerus, candida albicians, E.coli and many others.
- Women who suffer from a lot of white discharge from the vagina will also benefit from this herbal remedy, as this can treat infections. This is often used to get rid of thrush infections.
- This powder is often mixed with ashwaghanda powder, another excellent herb used in natural medicine. This works particularly well for detoxing the body of medications, cancer treatment drugs and toxins found in unhealthy foods.
- It increases the amount of semen produced by men, and can also boost the immune system helping to promote strength, sex drive, and reproductive health.
- The phytoestrogens in this herb balance ladies long-term health, preventing the risk of heart diseases and osteoporosis when used throughout life.
- Many people have used this as a natural remedy for the leaky gut syndrome and cleaning out the digestive tract.